Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Last Trip Before the Big Move

What a whirlwind four days! We had a great time exploring the Princeton area. Here’s an overview of our trip (this is gonna get long):

We arrived in Philadelphia on Thursday afternoon, drove into New Jersey and immediately started checking out different towns and neighborhoods. After our last visit up there in March, I seem to recall telling people that there was no such thing as a “bad part of town” around Princeton. Well, let me go on public record and eat my words: we definitely came across some unsavory areas. Don’t get me wrong – the worst parts of the area (besides Trenton, which is horrible) are better than the worst parts of Houston, but they are still places we would not want to live. After driving for a couple hours, we scratched 5 of the 6 houses off our “to-see” list based solely on location.

We woke up on Friday and walked to the Witherspoon Bread Company in downtown Princeton for breakfast. Let the drooling commence:

chocolate almond croissant...


...and cinnamon walnut croissant. Yum to both!


After breakfast, we set out for a busy day of house-hunting. Our realtor was incredibly patient with us – we asked her to change our entire list of places to see after she had already made all the appointments, and she did it with a smile. We spent nearly the entire day with her on Friday (after she made a ton of calls to get us into the properties on our new list), seeing disappointing townhouse after disappointing townhouse. The last place we went to see was actually someplace that she had mentioned to us via email a couple weeks earlier, but we said no to because it was too expensive. We added it to our list sort of last minute, and are we ever glad we did! It is spectacular, and we loved it immediately. There were a lot of things that had to fall in place for it to work out, but it did! We are really excited to get our stuff in there and make it home. And now for the long-awaited pictures! Don’t mind the fact that Brad and the realtor are in lots of them…I was just trying to get some shots so we could remember what the place looks like.



our adorable stone bungalow



The living room is to the right just as you walk in the front door. I love the arched doorways!


the other end of the living room


The eat-in kitchen. We won't put our table smack in the middle of the room.


Part of the L-shaped sunroom. The opening on the left wall looks into the kitchen. Perfect for Natalie to play in there while I keep an eye on her from the kitchen! The French doors on the right go out to the backyard.


the other part of the sunroom



The current tenants seem to be using this bedroom as "packing headquarters." But it will soon be transformed into a guest room so you can all come stay with us!


Brad is ecstatic that he will have his own study. The walls will be lined with crammed bookshelves, I'm sure.


the half bath downstairs


the master bedroom



Natalie's bedroom


The other side of Natalie's bedroom. She actually has a good bit of closet space, plus the cute little dormer on the left. There is one of those in the master bedroom too, but I didn't take a picture.



the full bathroom upstairs



Our amazing backyard! Picture it covered in snow :)


We have a paver patio as well.


I am coming back to edit, because how could I forget one of the coolest parts of the house? We have a basement! It is unfinished, but has a ton of storage space.


Even though we found our place on Friday, we still ended up spending a good bit of time on Saturday and Sunday filling out (and re-filling out) paperwork at the office. In between all the business, we did have some time for fun! We drove to the Shore:

The water was 69 degrees!



It was really crowded! And this was in the evening, so I'm sure it was even more packed during the peak of the day.



Brad braved the chilly water more than I was willing to.



We roamed semi-aimlessly around the Princeton campus:


It's not called an Ivy League for nothing!


Wallace Hall, where Brad will be spending much of his time


We spotted a bunny...


...and caught fireflies!



We also explored our new town, Pennington. We ate at a roadside stand called Cream King. It may have to become a place we go regularly in the summertime! I had banana ice cream (yum), and Brad had a "chipwich," which was ice cream in between homemade chocolate chip cookies (double yum). Our realtor told us that there is a Trader Joe's scheduled to open about 10-15 minutes from our house. That made me giddy! If you don't know what Trader Joe's is, Google it. And be very jealous.

We spent our last day in Philadelphia:




You can't go to Philly without eating cheesesteaks!


the Liberty Bell


Elfreth's Alley, the nation's oldest residential street. It was so quaint, but right smack in the heart of downtown Philadelphia...not someplace you want to live.


We also did some other wandering around Philadelphia and saw Independence Hall, the Tomb of the Unnamed Soldier of the American Revolution, and Benjamin Franklin's gravesite, among other things.

Most of all, we spent our time missing Natalie! She stayed in Houston going back and forth between her sets of grandparents. She had a blast, but missed her like crazy (although the trip would have been really difficult with her). We will miss our families so much when we move, but we know we have a great place to live when we arrive! I will be sure to post pictures of the house with our stuff in it once we’re all settled in.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am gonna miss you guys SOOOOOOOOO much! But, sadness aside--this house is AMAZING. Wow, seriously. I'm so thankful you all will have such a great place to be!! Much love!
Bets

Carol said...

Shore? That sign said BEACH!

The house looks amazing. I'm so happy for you guys and the next adventure in your lives. Your parents will be sad, but what a great place to visit! Chad and Ashlie have enabled us to see things we never would have seen! We'll have to come see y'all, too!!!

Mandy Holloway said...

I love your new house.Do yall need a live-in
nanny? I do hot meals, healthy snacks and light
housekeeping! No windows or snow removal.
I will also work in your beautiful yard.
I can sllep in the basement on a futon.
So happy for yall and that Lily can go too!!
Congratulations!!!!

Kim said...

Wow Katy, just wow! I love the house. It's just so perfect and quaint! I can't wait to visit you up there once we're back in the USA. Congrats on finding such a GREAT place. I'm officially jealous!

Mrs. Short said...

Beautiful! I can SO see you guys there on a cold winter day! Can't wait to come visit! It is amazing...so happy for you guys!

Tammy said...

Oh Katydid...
I am so happy for the 3 Smiths (plus the Smith cat).
The stone bungalow looks like a fairy tale dream house.
The chocolate croissants and Philly cheesesteaks look like a dieter's nightmare!
Enjoy it ALL!

Erin said...

Wow! What a beautiful house. Hope you guys enjoy your new home.