Friday, September 25, 2009

Pear Sauce

I spent part of my evening making pear sauce tonight. I won't lie...it took a long time. But after doing it this first time, I figured out how to make the process easier and more efficient. I'll try again soon and see how much faster I get!

It all started with a basket of freshly washed pears.


I quartered them and stewed them until they were fork tender.


I peeled them and sent them through the food processor with a little bit of sugar and a dash of cinnamon.


And voila! Fresh pear sauce.


All those pears yielded not even an entire jar of sauce. Next time, I'll peel them before cooking. The peels came off really easily after the pears were cooked, but I think I lost a good bit of the flesh along with the peels. I think it needs a little bit of tartness to counter the sweet, but I didn't have a lemon on hand tonight. I'll try squeezing some lemon juice in next time too. All in all, I consider it a success considering I had no idea what I was doing. Now the real test will be to see if Natalie will eat it for breakfast tomorrow!

1 comment:

Mrs. Short said...

yum! Did Natalie like it?