Sunday, May 23, 2010

Doe, A Deer

We had some unexpected visitors last week...deer! But not just any deer. Newborn baby deer. I first spotted a baby deer all curled up on our patio last Saturday. I panicked that it had been abandoned by its mommy, so I called Mercer County Wildlife Center. The very knowledgeable lady eased my fears and explained that this situation was totally normal. With my nerves calmed down, I of course had to get some pictures. Please excuse the weeds...they are gone now!






The next morning, our deer was gone and we figured all was right in the world of nature. So imagine our surprise when the next day, there were TWO baby deer! A second one was nestled down in some groundcover in one of the beds:


Then later that day, a mommy arrived, but fed only one deer. Brad thought he saw a different adult deer in our backyard, so maybe the babies had two different mommies.


The day after that, both babies were gone and have not been seen since. Hope they are doing OK...what a saga!

1 comment:

Carol said...

They are precious! I hope they're OK!