Thursday, October 29, 2009

Bluebonnets


I chatted with a lady yesterday who was so impressed that I was from Texas. But I think she was more impressed with herself because of the fact that she had been to Texas before. She mentioned that she had once visited around Easter time. She went on and on about the beautiful blue flowers that were all along the highways. "Have you seen those before?" "What are they called?" "Do we have them in New Jersey?" "Are they like that year round?" I politely answered her questions. I didn't mention the fact that it is practically a rite of passage in Texas to have your pictures taken in the bluebonnets...or force your kid to sit in the itchy grass while you try to get a half-way decent shot.

I would have settled for just looking at the camera. But Natalie had turned 1 a few weeks earlier, and as you can tell from the picture, she wasn't interested in looking at the camera. Or smiling. Or doing anything Mommy was trying to coerce her to do. Oh well.

2 comments:

Carol said...

She came to TX at a good time of year. I would love to hear her perspective had she come in say, July!

Mrs. Short said...

ha ha ha! Maybe you should plant some in your front yard so people can drive by and say "there are those people from Texas!"